Wednesday 13 February 2008

Beer Ritz Headingley

Stonch recently commended this off licence to readers. Or rather he commended the guy that runs it to his readers. I was in Headlingley today getting my hair cut - I know, a long way from Manchester, but that's where the lass that has cut my hair for the last eleven years has her new shop - and realised that the offie was a mere half mile away. I called in and met Jez who seems a fine and interesting fellow. We had a chat about beer, acquaintances and beer festivals. The shop is on a corner, just off the A660, in rather a nice area and is quite small, cosy and well laid out. There is a lot of beer to go at for the discerning drinker. His range of British bottled beers is impressive, as is the foreign selection. I commend it to readers!

My main purpose was not really to buy beer but I couldn't resist a John Martin's "Belgian" Guinness (Special Extra Stout) and a Brew Dog Hop Rocker Lager, the latter on Jez's recommendation. I'll let you know how I get on with these, but for those who want to know about Guinness Special Extra Stout, my review is here: http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=1732

I forgot to take a picture of the shop, but I'll be back in about a month!

Correction: The very nice man that runs the shop is called Zak. Forget Jez whoever he is!

3 comments:

ZakAvery said...

Thanks for the kind words. It was good to meet you today, and it feels bizarrely unsporting to point out that my name is actually Zak, not Jez!

Nice blog, by the way - good mix of news and opinion.

Tandleman said...

Where the Hell did I get that from? Must be aliens planting a false memory. I don't even know anyone called Jez! OK I've just been watching Torchwood but still.......

Not an unsporting correction, but one that has me worried!!Sorry Zak. Wish I'd bought more than two beers now.

Anonymous said...

Are you the same Zak that I've met a couple of times at IBC tastings in London? If so, hi, how are you, and isn't the world of beer a small one? If not, then I guess I have alien memory-implant issues too...
By the way, Peter, despite reading and enjoying this blog over the last few months, I've been too busy to contribute - but I'm hoping to be a bit more sociable from now on.