Saturday 18 July 2009

Proud of Pubs Bitter

I had a pint of this in the Drum and Monkey in Glasgow. This was the pub run by three, shall we say, less than customer focused young women I mentioned here. I think they were all still there. Two of them were definitely, but really, I can't be certain. They all still seemed a bit ...... well .......glum. The spectacularly ice covered founts were disappointingly ice free. The pub was still under performing if the customer numbers were anything to go by and I'd describe the atmosphere as "subdued".

And Morrisey Fox Proud of Pubs? Well a distinct Greene King IPA type sourish taste with a hint of Scottish Export within. Sweet and sour really. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but not exactly moreish.

I had a Scotch pie in a well known English bakery chain round the corner before boarding my train. My first Scotch pie for over 8 months. I queued humbly with the suits, but the pie was nothing special - not enough white pepper in the recipe - still it takes me back 30 odd years and that made it worthwhile.

1 comment:

Tandleman said...

Cooking Lager has left a new comment on your post "Proud of Pubs Bitter":

You visit the same grim pub twice? If a pubs naff, it's naff, my friend.

CL

I believe in second chances.

Barm has left a new comment on your post "Proud of Pubs Bitter":

You should have gone across the street to Aulds or Bradfords. They have better scotch pies.

Barm

No Aulds there any more AFAIK. And what is Bradfords?