Friday 29 January 2010

Think You Have It Bad?



An American Brewer mate of mine from years ago, in an act of kindness and generosity, recently sent me a case of his beer, including a new Imperial IPA. I won't name names except to say it is West Coast. I was looking forward to trying the six different beers within.

It arrived safe in the UK and a note from UPS when I was at NWAF said they'd tried to deliver it and no-one was in. Could I re-arrange? I did so and the day before it was due to come, I had a phone call. UPS tell me they have had a major raid at their Manchester warehouse and my shipment, along with many others has been stolen. I should inform the shipper I was told, as will they, as they are of course insured. Well that's fine and dandy then. Not.

I was almost speechless. I am not sure which infuriates me most, that some Manchester scallies are scoffing my lovely beer, or, more likely, have discarded it as not their sort of thing, or an international parcel service that is so insecure and incompetent that its warehouse can be so easily raided.

Either way, I am mightily pissed off.

12 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

It's not Frank Gallagers usual tipple. He is usually more discerning in his tastes preferring strong lout and a couple of E's. However he may like it and decide that pongy ale is for him. Keep tabs on your pongy ale clubs membership for new members from the Chatsworth Estate.

Knut Albert said...

It happens to me all the time, beer packages seem to disappear. I suspect the courier companies use them for staff parties.

Anonymous said...

One of the two boxes from my last Brewdog order 'disapeared' after the couriers picked it up! On the plus side though Brewdog got another box out to me within a couple of days. Does annoy me though that some pleb is probably whinging to his mates about the weird tasting beer he's nicked from work!

Sid Boggle said...

That's tough Tandle - I don't know what to say.

Perhaps a few words of consolation on the subject of karma from Glenn Hoddle would help... ;-)

ChrisM said...

Well my car was stolen last Thursday and found torched the following day. I'd rather let them have a few bottles personally! I agree that the depot ought to be more secure, but we wouldn't need extra security if it wasn't for the terrible binge drinking, right? ;-)

Brewers Union Local 180 said...

Huh!? I thought we couldn't send liquids overseas anymore. National Security and all that.

Paul Garrard said...

Bad luck. I suspect it is not too uncommon. Some beer sent to me before Christmas never arrived. Life's a bitch and then you die!

Sat In A Pub said...

Sorry about that. I didn't know they were yours.

Kristy said...

That sucks - sorry to hear it.

Have had problems with beer going missing with UPS before - like you say they should be shit hot at storing and delivering stuff - it's their reason for being after all!!!

Neville Grundy said...

You think that's bad? Feeling under the weather kept me out of the pub on both Saturday and Sunday evenings. I can't recall the last time that happened.

On the upside, there's still the same amount of money in my wallet as on Saturday morning. That's unheard of too.

Tandleman said...

Every cloud etc. RedNev.

jefffrane said...

In the States, UPS claims they won't even ship beer. Perhaps this is why.

I wasn't planning on checked baggage in April, Tandleman, sir, but if I have to replenish your beers from that "unnamed" West Coast brewery, it could be arranged.