Sunday 22 August 2010

Harping On


More about warm beer in London? No. Not really. After traipsing round every sportswear shop in Covent Garden (and there is a lot of them) looking unsuccessfully for footwear for her indoors, a pint was called for. I can never resist Wrasslers Stout in Porterhouse Brewing, so we popped in. While E had a couple of halves of Oyster Stout, which was a little sweet and fruity for my taste, I had possibly the most bitter example of Wrasslers I have ever had. It was no worse for that, bursting with bitterness, with a dusty hop store nose and a long, long, bitter finish. One wasn't enough. I quite like the pub too for its buzziness and style, but its inherent gloom doesn't for me at least, make for a long stay. One note of caution though. In nearly an hour there, we didn't see anyone else drinking stout at all.

On the way to the 15 bus, we have to pass the Harp in Chandos Place. Now this is a pub I really do like. Busy, bustling, interesting decor and lots to look at and enjoy. It has a local following as well as those like me, who pop in now and then. The staff are quick, friendly and attentive and it has Dark Star, with enough others to go at to offer something for everyone. It has character from top to bottom and is a living lesson on how to run a pub well.

I like Hophead. It has just enough hoppiness not to offend the unwary and is easy enough drinking to have more than one. So we had two. OK, it was a nudge over the optimum serving temperature, but still cool enough to thoroughly enjoy and I suppose you sometimes have to make allowance for Londoners liking of beer on the warm side.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Possibly my favourite pub in London! I too always opt for the Dark Star - as it's a bit of a rarity for me - and the Taylor's they normally have on is in surprisingly good nick. a great pub.

Summer Wine Brewery said...

I agree with you Tanders on serving temp, some get it horribly wrong, my latest post might be of interest:-

http://raisethebeerbar.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-trade-going-off.html

TIW said...

The Harp is one of the best city pubs anywhere. The Lennon to the Mitre's McCartney. Can't say I've ever liked the Porterhouse, mind.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the stouts in the Porterhouse. Jo and I never drink anything else when we're in there. Wrasslers for me, Plain Porter for the lady. The food is good, too - had a great rib-eye steak last time we were in.

Only been in the Harp once to-date, but it's definitely a proper boozer. Think I had something from either Dark Star or Sharp's when I was in there - some time ago now, so the memory is hazy...