Tuesday 28 September 2010

Be My Guest


From her lofty perch in the Pennine outpost of Delph, an excited Landlady rings me. She has just been to Blackburn - no that's not what she was chuffed by, though it isn't as bad as you might imagine - but her visit to Blackburn was to Thwaites Brewery where she and other leading cask pubs in the Thwaites estate were given some excellent news. Thwaites, who I have mentioned before, are upping their cask game, announced to the agog throng, that in addition to an enhanced seasonal and occasional range, a choice of guest ales from other brewers will be provided by the brewery. The Landlady is delighted. She wasn't sure at the time of speaking, what the guests would be, but Bateman's, St Austell and Champion Beer of Britain, Harvest Pale were mentioned.

Today, as if to confirm, the press release from Thwaites popped into my in box. It will feature 16 artisan ales from Daniel Thwaites’ Signature range of ales. as well as 16 guest beers from a range of brewers. The Landlady can't wait.

It seems that this will be part of a reciprocal arrangement, so Thwaites beers will get greater exposure too. This has become a feature of rather a lot of small brewers and has the potential to increase sales all round. Here in Manchester, Hydes and Holts do it, Robinsons as far as I know don't and Lees definitely don't. Will that change I wonder?

8 comments:

Neville Grundy said...

It's a welcome development, but limited to 38 pubs out of more than 300. It doesn't include any pubs in our area, though, to be fair, I suppose they might just be dipping their toe in the water.

Tandleman said...

If it doesn't RedNev, it's because they don't sell enough cask currently. It seems to be almost an incentive for the rest and a reward for those that pulled their tripes out.

Phil said...

Semi-relevantly, can anyone here identify the beer behind the green Thwaite's pump-clip (referenced here)? I remember I liked it a lot & preferred it to Bomber, in much the same way I prefer Taylor's Best to Landlord.

Sat In A Pub said...

That would be Thoroughbred. Which I actually thought was pretty poor, but each to their own.

Mark, Real-Ale-Reviews.com said...

Delph? Is that anywhere near the Diggle Hotel?

Tandleman said...

Mark - A couple of miles away.

Lew Bryson said...

Christ. I so want to spend a month over there just drinking the hell out of all these arguments.

Tandleman said...

Lew - Let me know when you do!